The chills often come before a fever, and they are the worst.
Chills are caused when the body, fighting infection, raises its temperature by constricting blood vessels and by making us shiver. It’s a really cool system because the shivering generates heat while the constricted blood vessels prevent the heat from escaping. Blood heads away from the skin and deeper into our bodies, explaining why adding blankets doesn’t help.
But the chills suck, and there’s a way to stop them and possibly speed up your recovery at the same time.
Follow these steps. In all, it should take between 10 and 15 minutes. Now, for this to work, you have to really, truly, in your heart, believe it will work. You have to believe that by doing the commands below, you’ll calm your body and encourage fast healing. Yes, it’s a little “woo,” but who cares if works?viagra
- Sit cross-legged on a bed or cushion. I know you want to lie down because you feel like crap, but trust me and sit cross legged. If you can’t sit that way, just sit upright. It’s fine to use back support. If you lie down, you’ll constantly flex your muscles and ball up, making it hard to do the exercise.
- Inhale and exhale slowly for 1 minute. On the inhale, think to yourself “Sleep.” On the exhale, think to yourself “Sleep Deeper.” Relax all your muscles as you do this.
- Tell yourself “on the count of 10, I’ll be calm, comfortable, and relaxed.” Then, start counting. Count along with deep, slow breaths. With each count, say things like, 1… getting more relaxed and comfortable. 2… feeling calm and relaxed. 3…even more calm, comfortable and relaxed…
- Repeat the count until the shivers subside.
- Once the shivers have stopped, you should start feeling a little warmer. Envision a beam of bright, healing golden light beaming from above down into your body, entering through the top of your head.
- See that golden light filling each body part, making it warm, relaxed, and healthy.
- Once you’re filled up with the light, scan your body for any pain and focus the healing on that spot.
- Do this until you’re sleepy. Then go to sleep.
Try this yourself and let me know in the comments how it goes for you.